Welcome in our outdoor space! I’m so excited to show you our patio this year- as you might remember we moved from our old house last september and this space is one I haven’t shared with you before!
One of the reasons why we decided to move here was the surroundings of our home. The huge mature trees make me feel as if we’d live in the middle of the forest and the pine trees in our backyard make me think of vacation by the sea back in Poland. I just love to sit here in the morning with my coffee, before it gets too hot admiring the trees and looking at kids playing in the backyard.
However we haven’t really updated this space since moving in. The deck needs a painting job and wood needs to be replaced in a couple of spots- I would also love to add a pergola or a mini outdoor bar – or both! But despite what I’m envisioning for the future, for now it’s a double deck with a lovely view, perfect for our family. And since my mantra is to love the house you live in now despite the imperfections, I wanted to share with you how to make even an older deck a lovely place to spend time!
5 tips to decorate an outdoor space
- Create different seating areas – creating different zones makes any spaces more interesting and inviting! We have a dining zone and lounging one- and even though the second one is still a work in progress it creates a cozy feeling and gives us extra space to sit with a book and a coffee.
- Add outdoor textiles. Just like inside of your home throw pillows and blankets create a sense of comfort and coziness- textiles will make your patio look more inviting and comfy too!
- Mix and match. What makes any space look more interesting is the collected look- same applies for outdoor spaces! Plus by mixing and matching you can score better deals on outdoor pieces!
- Bring the indoor plants outside. I used to get new potted plants every year for the summer until I realized that they won’t ever live through the winter ( I tried to save them so many times!) and that I’m basically throwing money away. Now except of fresh herbs and one floral arrangement at my front door I don’t spend money on potted plants- instead I bring my indoor plants out for the summer months- which makes the plants happy and my wallet too!
- Add little decor pieces. Just like inside accessories make the vibe of your space. So think fun planters, stone sculptures and outdoor candles and lanterns!
I could also add that placing an outdoor rug underneath a table will make your space instantly stylish! Except if you’re a parent to young kids- adding any rug underneath a table with kids around will only add cleaning to your list- hence, no rug on my patio underneath the table!
And if you’re looking for more ideas and tips for outdoor spaces make sure to check what my friends have shared!
This week I’m joining some of my talented blogging friends for the Summer Seasonal Simplicity Series: Outdoor Spaces Tours! Be sure to check out all of the beautiful inspiration by visiting the links under the images below.
The Happy Housie // Joanna Anastasia // Cassie Bustamante // The Tattered Pew
Life is Better At Home // Tatertots and Jello // Finding Silver Pennies // Lemon Thistle
A Pretty Life // Dans le Lakehouse // Clean & Scentsible // Willow Street Interiors
Inspiration for Moms // She Gave it a Go // Grace in My Space // Deeply Southern Home
Life is a Party // Nina Hendrick // Happy Happy Nester // Craftberry Bush
Maison de Cinq // Hallstrom Home // House by Hoff // My Sweet Savannah